The Mindfulness Now teacher training programme is contained in an intensive 5 day course which is experiential in nature. We believe that for a vocational qualification it is vital that teachers learn through a ‘hands on’ practical approach with plenty of discussion and the learning dynamic which can only come out of working in a mutually supportive group.
At present mindfulness teachers are not regulated, and there are no governing or regulatory bodies, as such. Teachers should however be able to demonstrate acceptable standards of competence and ethics. Mindfulness Now teachers, as well as receiving practical training, also demonstrate through case study assessment that they are able to work with their learners / clients to achieve therapeutic goals. They commit to engaging in clinical supervision and Continuing Professional Development (CPD).
Teacher training includes the unique Mindfulness Now programme which offers an integrated approach to using mindfulness techniques to help clients deal with: pain, rheumatic conditions, stress, anxiety and serious physical and emotional trauma, as well as building emotional resilience. Meditation sessions are conducted daily as part of the teacher training and all participants engage in some facilitated teaching practice.
The training syllabus includes:
- Client / learner assessment protocols
- Cautions, safeguards and contra-indications
- Session recording and evaluation
- History of mindfulness and mindfulness meditation
- How to conduct mindfulness meditation sessions – seated, lying and movement based
- Attitudinal Basis (7 Attitudes – Kabat-Zinn)
- 3 stage breathing space (hourglass)
- Body Scan
- Breath and body awareness
- Mindfulness in wellbeing
- Mindfulness teaching techniques and methodologies
- Therapeutic interventions with mindfulness
- Developing the teacher’s own mindfulness practice
- Conducting individual / group sessions
- The Mindfulness Now 8 weeks wellbeing programme
- Stress Reduction – the MBSR approaches
- Cognitive behavioural approaches – the MBCT approaches
- Integration of mindfulness with other therapeutic modalities
- Corporate applications of mindfulness / working with children